Friday, August 8, 2008

Northland Getaway

With the other members of Team Xtreme doing an exceptional job of sampling the delights of the rest of the world and New Zealand's very own winter wonderland I decided on a random mission that I could publish to lose my blogging virginity.

The destination - Northland. I figured if its good enough to produce my main man Nevdog then it must be good.

The primary objective - saltwater fly fishing and sightseeing. So armed with a camera, rod, reel and of course fishing hat I made my way north. After landing in Auckland and borrowing a car from a friend I made a beeline for Parengarenga harbour, New Zealand's northernmost harbour around 100 km north of Kaitaia. With crystal clear water flanked by stunningly white sand, it could easily be mistaken for part of a tropical lagoon. Torrential rain in the area meant the rivers were all swollen and I also got a glimpse of Northlands paddling potential.
Unfortunately the changable, wet weather continued for most of my 5 day roadtrip however I still enjoyed some amazing fishing and checked out some of the popular sights in the area wich was great as I had never been north of Auckland before. These included Cape Reinga, Spirits bay, Te Paki sand dunes, giant Kauri forests and the birthplace of modern NZ - Waitangi. The trip was completed with a couple of great nights out in Auckland with my old flatmates including the Native Noise concert featuring Tiki, Kora, Katchafire and Ladi6. Enjoy the photos and always remember the ancient proverb: "A shy ho is a broke ho" (think about it). Kia kaha










2 comments:

Em said...

Nice one Jono - bout time slacker!

Luc said...

That;s the way to do it, curly impressions seeker.
Will do my commemoration run out there soon too. There is a good vibe in those grounds. May curiosity and fun follow your steps